Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Personal - A weekend, a holiday and a day off.

I treated myself to a four day weekend courtesy of Columbus Day and a vacation day. (Seriously... why is Columbus Day a federal holiday?)

Friday my folks came up and spent the day and evening with my daughter. They don't even care if I'm around anymore. It's all about the grand kids.

Saturday my wife and I volunteered at the Weston Irish Fest. Free admission, free food and drink and a t-shirt in exchange for a couple hours of labor. Wow. We worked our butts off, but had a great time. We had volunteered to work the beer tent because, let's face it, I loves the beer. My wife took tickets (4 tickets for one beer or one shot and 6 for an Irish Car Bomb) and I poured beer from 1 to 6. Turned out that of the four guys pouring the beer, I was the only one who knew how to tap a keg. (It's like riding a bike...) So in the five hours there, I moved and tapped 26 kegs. Also I got really good at making 1/2 and 1/2's.

After our shift, we ate and drank for free and watched a few bands. I highly enjoyed Fuchsia and Jiggernaut, though Jiggernaut was less celtic and more alt-rock-ish. Brigid's Cross wasn't bad, but they tried to do too much comedy in between songs and came across as forced and scripted. The Prodigals I was very un-impressed with.

We couldn't get a hotel in Weston because there was a Nascar race in town and every redneck west of the Mississippi was in town, so we had to not drink much because of the drive home.

Sunday we took the offspring to the pumpkin patch and to buy her Halloween costume. She's walking around the house as a princess. I think it's type casting.

Monday was a lazy day. Just some couch time with the family. I did make Irish stew though. It turned out great. As my wife wouldn't let me back in the house if I tried to add Lamb to the stew (as is proper for Irish stew,) I made it with just chicken stock, potato, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley. Poured it in a couple of bread bowls... very, very tasty.

Tuesday I broke down and went to see the doctor. I've been wheezing and coughing for over a week. I tried Mucinex, NyQuil, cough syrup, everything I could think of, but I wasn't getting better. Turns out I have an upper respiratory infection. I'm on anti-biotics and am now an inhaler carrying nerd. Oh yes, my journey to the dork side is now complete.

I'm off to put some tape around the bridge of my glasses.