Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Politics - Would you do it again?

I live in the reddest of red states, Kansas. I see more "Bush-Cheney '04" stickers on my daily commute than any three people ought to see in a lifetime. Mostly I shake my head and feel sorry for the occupants.

Until yesterday. I was stopping to get gas and pulled in behind a big black pickup truck with a "Bush-Cheney '04" sticker on the window and no less than six magnetic ribbons expressing the owners patriotism and support for our troops in Iraq. Yellow ones, camouflage ones, red-white-and-blue ones.

He was already fueling and as I started he noticed me looking at his cadre of decorations. He caught my eye, and, smiling, gave me kind of a half nod. He obviously assumed I was a god fearing, NRA member, Bush lovin' 'Publican like himself.

I looked at him and said, "Would you do it again?"

He looked a bit confused. "Do what again?" he asked.

"Vote for Bush," I said.

"Hellyeah! He's a good man!" he said, "Damn sight better than Kerry. I hate that guy. Bush is takin' care of them damn Iraqis."

"Hmmm," said I.

He finished filling his truck and while walking back around to get in his truck, stared at me like I had purple horns sprouting from my forehead.

I realized, then and there, I no longer feel sorry for them.

We are so screwed.